Green Brothers, proprietors of the Dayton Tile Works, are sons of David and Mary (Stadden) Green. The business was established by David Green in the spring of 1879, for his two sons, John and George Green, and soon after its establishment the sons took charge of it and ran it together until September, 1882, when Charles Green bought the interest of his brother George. Their father, David Green, was born in Newark, Licking Co., Ohio, in 1818, and died in September, 1880. He learned the trade of grist miller in Dayton, Ill., where his father built the first grist and saw mill. He followed farming for a few years before his death, in partnership with his brother Isaac. His wife still survives. They had a family of nine children – Alice C. married Jesse C. Allen and is now living in Des Moines, Ia.; George W. married Emma E. Holton and lives at Braidwood, Ill.; Ella, John and Charles, living at home; Ada D., wife of William McMillan, living at Clinton, Iowa; William S., of Fort Scott, Kan.; Minnie died in 1881 aged sixteen years, and Carrie B. died in 1882, aged fourteen years. David Green held the office of Highway Commissioner. In politics he was a Democrat. In religious faith a Universalist. His sons John and George are members of the Masonic fraternity. John has served as Town Clerk a number of years and is now Treasurer of the Highway Commissioners as well as a member of the board.1
- History of La Salle County, Illinois, 2 vols. (Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co.,1886), 2: 92-93.