The Dayton Woolen Mills
One day last week we took a look through the extensive woolen mills of J. Green & Co., at Dayton. It will be remembered that this is the pioneer establishment of this kind in the state. In 1853 the old wooden structure, near the location of the present mills, ran but one set of machinery; and even in its infant state, and limited capacity, it supplied the farmers for many miles around with excellent cloth and good stocking yarn, and furnished them with a good market for wool. Mr. John Green, the senior member of the present firm, wisely concluded to add to and extend the mills in capacity, – so as to keep pace with the rapid growth of the country around.
In 1864 the new building was erected. It is built of Joliet stone, is one hundred feet by fifty, and six stories high, and not only solid and durable in its construction, but elegant in architectural design externally, and handsomely furnished internally, and is, altogether, a most splendid building.
The firm now constantly run eleven broad and three narrow looms; six spinning jacks, of 240 spindles each; three fulling mills, besides proper apparatus for all other purposes, in proportion, and give constant and remunerative employment to a large number of people, male and female.
The Dayton mill’s doeskins and beavers took the premiums at the fair of the North-western States, in 1868, besides the silver medals and diplomas at the state fair last year. Their goods are all of a superior grade, and find a ready market all over the country. As an instance, we may mention, that an agent of this firm sold five thousand dollars worth of the Dayton goods in Iowa in a single month’s trip, where the goods had never been introduced before.
The Dayton cloths, blankets, yarn, &c., are the best and cheapest any one can purchase, and are made in good faith and always warranted to be made of the best material and in the best manner.
The Ottawa [IL] Free Trader, July 6, 1870