George W. Green was born in Dayton, Ill., Sept. 3, 1850, a son of David and Mary (Stadden) Green. He was reared in his native town and here received his early education, completing it at Lombard University, Galesburg, where he spent two years. He then took a course at Bryant & Stratton’s Commercial College, and has since, with the exception of three years, lived in his native village. In 1878 he was employed in the office of a paper-mill in Marseilles. In 1883, was engaged in manufacturing tile in Kendall County, and in 1884 in the same business in Jones County, Iowa. In the fall of 1884 he returned to Dayton and is now engaged in milling having charge of his father’s mill. He was married Sept. 16, 1878, to Emma E. Holton, daughter of John C. and Susan (Wright) Holton, the former a railroad contractor now living in Texas. Her mother died in 1864. Mr. and Mrs. Green have three children – Roy, born in 1879; Clarence David, Feb. 21, 1880; and Ethel, May 11, 1884. In politics Mr. Green is a Democrat. He has served as Highway Commissioner of Dayton Township, two years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge and chapter. He and his wife are members of the Universalist church.1
- History of La Salle County, Illinois, 2 vols. (Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co.,1886), 2: 93.