Dayton on September 14, 1929, was the scene of a glorious centennial party, marking the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the Green party in Illinois. Two bands, a children’s chorus, and a dance orchestra provided music; a gigantic tug-of-war and other tests of skill and strength amused the merry-makers; and former residents came from near and far to join the festivities.
A marker was dedicated on the spot where the mill-stones were found which were used in Green’s mill, the first water-powered mill in northern Illinois. The marker, a brass plate with the story of the discovery, was placed on a boulder set in cement, along the east bank of the river. Although the boulder may still be there, the brass plate disappeared many years ago.
During the afternoon, Miss Maude Green, Mrs. John Bowers, Miss Helen Hallowell and Miss Edith Reynolds donned garments of several decades ago and promenaded the streets, reviving an interesting bit of history in regard to modes and fashions. Only the marcelled hair of Miss Hallowell and Miss Reynolds which peeked from underneath their quaint old bonnets showed that they were maids of the twentieth century rather than of the days when Dayton was in its infancy.
There were many mementos, relics and curios on display:
. straw plug hat and woman’s straw hat of the vintage of about 1800
. old candle molds
. flintlock guns which belonged to Peter W. Ainsley and Tim Thompson
. blankets and coverlets made in the old woolen mill
. hoop skirts, dresses, black silk and satin capes
. an 85 year old spinet, having twenty-nine keys, and thirty inches in height
. a tardy bell and a call bell from an old school
. mourning shawls and hats, which were loaned out at the time of funerals
The revelry went on well into the evening and a good time was had by all.