Adelia (Bennett) Wilson
born January 21, 1878, in Iowa
died March 4, 1946, in Ottawa, Illinois
DAYTON WOMAN DIES OF BURNS; HOUSE IS RAZED
Mrs. Adelia Wilson, 68, of Dayton, died at 9:15 today in Ryburn-King hospital of burns received at 6:30 last night in a fire at her home in the village four miles northeast of Ottawa. The house was destroyed.
Her step-granddaughter, Colleen Davis, 15, was slightly burned when she went into the burning house to lead her grandmother out after the latter ran into the blazing building to get some clothes.
Volunteers were unable to prevent destruction of the house and turned their efforts toward saving nearby buildings. The village is without fire protection.
Mrs. Wilson was burned over two-thirds of her body and her condition had been regarded as critical from the time she was admitted to the hospital.
Her son, Theodore R. Wilson, discharged from the navy in October after long service, told the Republican-Times today he believed the fire started when his mother tried to pour kerosene in the kitchen stove. An explosion followed which covered her with flames and set the house on fire.
Funeral at 2 Tomorrow
Mrs. Wilson, a native of Iowa, had lived in the Dayton community about 38 years. She was the widow of Vernon Davis, who died several years ago. Two daughters, Eva and Clarine, also are deceased.
Colleen Davis, her step-granddaughter, who risked her own life in a vain effort to save that of her grandmother, is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore R. Wilson. Another son of Mrs. Wilson, Elmon Wilson, also lives in Dayton.
The office of Sheriff Clayton O. Harbeck was notified of the fire and Deputy Sheriff Edward White investigated.
Mrs. Wilson has a brother, Sam Bennett, who made his home with her.
The body has been removed to the Gladfelter mortuary, where Dr. A. J. Roberts, county coroner, conducted an inquest at 1 today.
Funeral services will be held at 2 tomorrow at the Gladfelter chapel. Dr. C. W. McClelland of the First Presbyterian church is to officiate. Burial will be in the Dayton cemetery.
The jury found that death was due to shock and third-degree burns suffered in trying to light a fire in the stove with kerosene.1
1. [Ottawa, Illinois] Daily Republican-Times, March 4, 1946