George W. Makinson, son of Evan and Martha (Wain) Makinson, was born in Congleton, Cheshire, England, July 15, 1826. He was reared and educated in his native country, and in 1840 emigrated to America with his parents. The family remained at Alton, Ill., a short time, where his mother worked at the millinery trade a year, the father and George going to a farm in Linn County, Mo., after which his mother followed them to the farm. He and his mother came to New Lenox, Will Co., Ill., and in 1843 he worked at the harness-maker’s trade at Joliet. In the fall of 1844 he came to Dayton, Ill., and worked in Green & Son’s woolen-mill about twenty years. He was married Sept. 21, 1847, to Charlotte B. Evans, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (DeLong) Evans, who died in this county. Mrs. Makinson was born Feb. 12, 1828, in Chittenden County, Vt., She came with her parents to Ohio, and from there to La Salle County, Ill., in 1843. Mr. and Mrs. Makinson have had seven children – Josephine, wife of J. W. Channel, of Dayton, Ill.; Anna M., wife of Charles J. Hudson, of Dayton; Jesse W., working in Ottawa, Ill.; Charles J., married and living in Janesville, Wis.; George L., at home; Edgar, born March 12, 1865, and died May 24, 1881, and Lottie E., born Feb. 1, 1871. Mr. Makinson is serving his second term as Justice of the Peace. He also holds the office of Postmaster, having served continuously since 1854 with the exception of two years.1
See also his entry in the CEMETERY section.
- History of La Salle County, Illinois, 2 vols. (Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co.,1886), 2: 98-99.